Hawai’i is a melting pot. We all know that. The term local girl has gone far beyond the stereotypical polynesian girl. Today you’ll hear people say local Japanese, local Filipino and even local Haole. It’s just how we’ve come to describe each other. There’s a great respect and acceptance for every culture. Having said that, dating a local girl means dating a girl from Hawai’i. And no matter what the ethnicity, a local girl…is a local girl. So before you dive into the dating pool, I’ve hooked you up with nine things you need to know before dating a local girl.
1. Marry the girl, you marry the family – Whether she has seven siblings and 20 nieces and nephews or whether she’s an only child, there’s always uncles…lots and lots of uncles. And aunties…they’re usually much harder to please. Oh and let’s not forget all of their cousins. You know, the Paniolo that rides bulls, or the Samoan with 10 brothers or the one that has a passion for MMA. When you get with the girl, they’re all part of the package. Don’t let Disney fool you, this is the REAL meaning of ohana.
2. Learn to work around the Pidgin – Not all the local girls speak pidgin English but someone they know definitely does. So first off, DON’T fake it. It sounds so dang corny. Unless someone asks you to try. Then give it a try. They’ll laugh a little but let them have their laughs now. In the end, you get the girl. 😉 Second, if you don’t understand what someone is saying to you, don’t just say, “huh” or “what?” It gets annoying and it may get a little uncomfortable. Simply tell them, “Pidgin sounds so darn cool and I wish I could speak and understand it. Could you say that again?” Stay cool.
3. Do NOT put sugar in the poi – consider yourself warned.
4. Beware the Tahitian dancer – Some day, you may be at a luau or a cultural event. One of the performances may be several beautiful women dressed in amazing costumes skillfully gyrating their hips. And they just might come into the crowd and choose you to go up on stage and dance with them. Fun in the moment, but that awkward silence while driving home afterwards? Yeah…not so fun.
5. Local girls aren’t jealous – Really they’re not! They just want everyone to know that you belong to them…and ONLY them. We clear? Good. By the way, I know the photo below isn’t that relevant but hey, the ladies need some eye candy too, don’t they? 😉
6. Your friends are going to want a slice of paradise – Once you tell your friends that you’re dating a local girl, they’ll start asking you if she has a sister…or cousin…or a best friend. Best advice: Point them to this article.
7. Feed on time – Since the dawn of mankind, the male has been the great provider. While things have changed since that time and there are a lot of independent women, don’t make any assumptions here. Learn the hunger schedule quick. When she gets moody, try food, because if you ask her what’s wrong, she’ll only tell you , “you supposed to know alreadeh!” Ok this may be all women, but the difference is that local girls won’t hide it. And fellas, don’t laugh…cause you know you roar at feeding time too.
8. Get over your homophobia – If you don’t know what mahu means, go and learn it. They’re a very accepted part of our culture and I promise you that you will be grateful for the mahu cousins and friends that she has. They will take sooooo much of the emotional pressure off of you because they will provide her with a different perspective in everything.
9. Local girls LOVE HARD – When they commit to you, they give you their all. They’ll put everything into their relationship and hold nothing back. This happens from the very beginning. There’s no courting period, here. If you give your heart, she’ll give her heart too. If you step on it…..then maybe you should go back to number one of this article.
And there you have it. A great start to understanding our beautiful women here in Hawaii. Of course, it’s hardly an understanding because they are very complex but at least you’ll be somewhat prepared. This list is far from complete so I’ve got one last piece of advice for you if you do decide to date a local girl: PAY ATTENTION!