Do you hear or have a sensation of a ringing, roaring, buzzing, chirping, or humming sound without any actual acoustical stimulation. This is called Tinnitus, it represents a symptom rather than a disease. In many cases, it is caused by chronic inflammation. It is estimated that over 15 million Americans experience this very disturbing condition on a regular basis. Lifestyle changes can reverse or stop possible long term damage to your hearing before it is too late.
THE MOST COMMON CAUSES OF TINNITUS:
Tinnitus can be caused by a number of different conditions, I will only list a handful here because the list would be very long. Causes include build-up of inner ear wax, ear infections, vestibular disorders, Meniere’s disease, head and neck injuries, low thyroid function, allergies and on very rare cases a tumor. Over 250 medications list tinnitus as a common side effect of usage including aspirin and anti-biotics. Exposure to very loud noises is another cause that with a little forethought and prep can be totally avoided. I find that with small changes in diet, addressing nutrients that may needed and chiropractic adjustments have totally resolved many clients’ complaints.
AN ANTI-INFLAMMATORY NUTRITION PLAN:
Tinnitus may be a warning sign that the entire body is inflamed. Begin eating a diet that consists of phytonutrient dense fruits & vegetables and healthy fat sources. Keep sugars & grains to a minimum. Use coconut, olive oil, grass-fed meat, free range eggs, avocados, and non-starchy vegetables as primary fuels throughout the day. Also use plenty of anti-inflammatory herbs such as turmeric, ginger, dandelion, oregano, garlic, & green tea.
UPPER CERVICAL SPINE AND TINNITUS:
Tinnitus is also a symptom of upper neck instability. A 2000 study showed that this instability of the craniocervical junction was a common cause of tinnitus. Issues with the tempero-mandibular joint (TMJ) of the jaw can also play a role in tinnitus. This case shows within two weeks, chiropractic adjustments resolved a womans tinnitus. Several studies have shown that chiropractic care addressing the upper cervical spine and TMJ can improve auditory function and have a beneficial effect on tinnitus.
Boost to the body:
- Vitamin B12is a critical vitamin, deficiency of B12 makes nerves more susceptible to the inflammatory damage that causes tinnitus. Healthy grass fed meats are a great way to get Vitamin B12. The use of digestive enzymes and apple cider vinegar with your meat products to enhance protein and B12 absorption. If you know you have low levels or B12 or do not include daily meat in your diet, then I suggest taking a daily supplement. Dissolving sublingual form of methyl-B12 is easily absorbed into the body without digestive disruption or destruction of the precious vitamin.
- Antioxidants help with those suffering tinnitus. Reactive oxidative stress play enormous role in many disease processes noted by the damage to structural, functional and cellular components. A 2007 study demonstrated that oral antioxidant therapy in patients with idiopathic tinnitus seems to significantly reduce the discomfort and intensity.
- Getting good sources of magnesium, vitamins A, C and E are also effective in reducing trauma neurologically and to inner ear structures in this study.
- Hydration is one of humans most valuable and over looked nutrient. Many people are chronically under hydrated straining body functions resulting in less than optimal good health.
- Vitamin D helps boost immune system and resolves inflammatory Direct exposure to the sun is actually the best way to absorb vitamin D. In fact, in just 10-15 minutes of direct sunlight, you are likely absorbing about 10,000 units of natural vitamin D- depending on your skin tone and where you live. Some food sources are nutritional yeast, mushrooms and many processed foods like milk is fortified with vitamin D because the pasteurization destroyed the naturally occurring vitamin in raw milk. You may also want to take a supplement, in which case D3 is easier for the body to convert into usable vitamin D in the body than D2. Good thing to note here also, some people experience ringing in the ears after taking vitamin D supplements, in most cases can be relieved by simply taking a magnesium supplement to assist the conversion in the body.
- Good Sleep is absolutely critical in order to reduce inflammation and heal. Inadequate sleep leads to not only inflammation but elevated stress levels, mood changes and decrease cognitive function. More tips on getting a good nights sleep here.
Health tip brought to you by Dr. Shauna Lover DC – mobile chiropractor to the Big Island.
Encouraging you t do a little research, read a few labels, get moving, drink little more water, love a little more, worry little less. Live longer and healthier. Need more information? Check out Blue Zones or Everyday Health for more information on healthier life.
Dr Shauna can be reached at: 808-209-1856 or contact here: www.drshaunalover.com